Mission San Juan was originally established as San José de los Nazonis in East Texas. In 1731 it was relocated to its permanent home on the east bank of the San Antonio River. By mid-century, San Juan, with its rich farm and pasturelands, was a regional supplier of agriculture produce. Orchards and gardens outside the walls provided peaches, melons, pumpkins, grapes, and peppers. Corn, beans, sweet potatoes, squash, and even sugar cane were grown in irrigated fields. In 1762 Mission San Juan’s herds were reported to include 3,500 sheep and nearly as many cattle.
Today, partially restored, Mission San Juan contains a small museum and was the scene of the first archaeological dig at the missions. Mission San Juan is an active parish and has been a parish church since 1909.
Ensuring Mission San Juan’s Future:
- Stabilize and repaint interior wall plaster
- Historic paint investigation
- Archeology study of west wall of church
- Stabilize west wall and buttress removal
- Repair plaster
- Repointing of west wall
- Reconstruct north wall of parish hall
- Roof work on priest’s quarters