The Mission of Nuestra Señora de la Purísima Concepción was transferred from East Texas in 1731. The church looks essentially as it did in the mid-1700’s when it served as the Mission’s center of religious activity. Colorful geometric designs that once covered its surface have long since faded.
The missionaries strove to replace traditional Indian ritual with religious festivals teaching Christian beliefs. Carvings of the saints and objects of adoration were popular representations of Catholicism among the Indians. Morality plays and religious celebrations were common methods of instruction.
Although abandoned for long periods, the sturdy church of Mission Concepción is once again used for worship.
Ensuring Mission Concepcion’s Future:
- Conservation of art
- Nave lighting
- Stabilzation of interior wall plaster
- Replace and repaint plaster on dome and upper wall
- Historic paint investigation
- Stabilize fresco
- Interpret historic paint
- Stabilize interior wall plaster
- Reappoint deteriorated mortar joints
- Stabilize exterior facade stone
- Test and stabilize existing and orginal plaster
- Repointing of north wall
- Clean, paint, and stucco dome
- Parapet stucco/waterproofing